Hi, last summer (9 months ago) I started experiencing extreme dry mouth.   It was unbearable. Needless to say none of my Dr.s had any answers.  One-by one I started eliminating things from my diet.    I can tell you now the dry mouth had nothing to do with the hydrogen peroxide  or Baking Soda I brushed my teeth with.  Nothing to do with baby oil i used on skin, fluoride in water down the shore, Canola oil or rice vinegar on salad,  or the papaya.   In the end, I gave up my Cereal with milk in the morning and my bowl of ice cream every night and my dry mouth started to get better.  Was it the BHT in the cereal or the corn syrup in the ice cream or the protein in the milk and ice cream ???????  I,m still not sure, but since I am actually Lactose Intolerant I am better off without it.

About 7 months ago I started with BMS. Burning mouth syndrome.  I also had burning lips.  I would also get little red sores on top lip and tiny red hives on tip of tongue.   Every morning I start out fine and it gets progressively worse as the day goes on.
I still have this and I know it was different and unrelated to the dry mouth.

I recently read that all the Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and brussel sprouts) contain a chemical that affects the mucous membranes. I eat a lot of Cabbage and Brussel Sprouts cause they are low in salicylates.    I think the cabbage does give me a burning tongue so I will be eliminating that now and I will let you know how it goes.       Take care, Joan

Comments

Sissy
05/23/2012 15:29

Hi Joan
I appreciate your comments. I am having the same problem as you are. Mine started about a year and half ago. One day I woke up with dry mouth and it has developed into a living night mare for me. I carry a one liter bottle of Dasani water with me everywhere I go...even to church. I drink about 12 liters of water every day. I am up many times a night urinating. Then my bladder started hurting a few months ago from having to go so much.
My doctor checked my blood to see if she could see anything which may be causing it...nothing. I actually went off my medications for 3 months thinking that was the cause...no, my mouth stayed dry. I started developing thrush and the burning mouth which you describe about 7 months ago.
My mouth has this never ending burning sensation on my tongue, roof of my mouth. inside of my cheeks and my lips burn. I have these blisters on my toungue most of the time.
Doctor sent me to a specialist. He said dry mouth was a big sign of brain cancer...did a brain scan on me.....brain scan was good. He then called me in and did a swallow test on me.....it turned out great. Then he sent me to a ENT doctor. The ENT walked in the room and the first time he saw me he said..."how long have those ________ glands been swollen?' He was refering to the glands on both sides of my cheeks that produce salava. I told him I though my face was just fat. He said not they are swolen and I guarantee you are not producing salava. He asked me all kinds of question about how long this has been going on etc... He explained to me that sometime a nasty bug will slip in undetected and mess up the salava glands and sometimes they can find it and fix it and sometimes they can't.
So he deadened the side of my face and took a big needle and went in to the side of my cheek and drew out a lot of tissues to send into the lab. He said I will call you in a couple days when results come in.
Results show basically nothing but a slight sign of Shojerns (I know I didn't spell that right).
So he said he was sending the results my my doctor and she can discuss what to do next. He really had not explanation for my extreme dry mouth and burning inside my mouth.
I know close to two years ago I had my blood tested because I started having extreme itching on my arms, legs and all over...I am barely allergic to milk and egg whites.
I keep thinking I am allergic to sugar because everytime I eat ice cream, diet coke, anything with artificial sugar or natural sugar the dry mouth gets worse. I am like you...I try to stay away from things like ice cream, cereal with milk and things like that. I love those things and it is really hard to stay away.
Anyway...I am waiting a call from my doctor to see what my next test will be in determining why the dry mouth and burning mouth. It is so hard on me to live every second of my life like this. It makes me feel bad all over and never get any real sleep because of having to run to the bathroom all night.
Another bad thing about not producing salava is my teeth are starting to get lots of cavities. This problem is a bummer! I hope you can find some relief and if you do post on here so I can read what you find and I will do the same.
ALl my very best to you Joan!
Sissy

07/03/2012 09:10

Dear Sissy, some of your symptoms are exactly the same as mine and some were ones I used to have before I went low sal. Most of my life I had swollen tender saliva glands. Once I gave up high salicylate foods my glands went down. They will still get sore if I cheat and eat something high in salicylates. I wish I could have saved you a few tests. As long as you ruled out Sjogrens and Saliva gland stones theres not much else to do. My tests also came back negative to those too.

Like you I also get a very dry mouth from sugar. My blood sugar tests were a little high (5.8 in one and 160 in another type of test) but I am pre- pre diabetic. So I will limit my sugar and carb intake.

My dry mouth is a lot better when I avoid dairy but it still comes and goes. My burning tongue improves when I limit my intake of cabbage, brussel sprouts and cauliflower.

Sissy since you are on this site I am assuming that you are Salicylate Intolerant. If you strictly avoid moderate to Very high sals you will see an improvement in your swollen glands. Its how our bodies react to a toxic level of salicylates that our bodies cant properly metabolize. You might also see an improvement in your itching. This is another typical symptom of salicylate intolerance.

My burning lips seems to be my body's new symptom of choice to alert me that I ate something wrong. Like artificial colors or flavors. The top border of my top lip will start burning and get little red sores and my tongue will burn and get 2 or 3 pink bumps. Well good luck, and hope to hear from you again. Joan

Peggy
01/25/2014 04:16

I too have BMS for 1.5 yrs now. ENT was no help. Read about a trial, started this regime five days ago and pain is considerably reduced! I take 600 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid daily in the am and 300 mg Neurontin daily in the pm. Keeping fingers crossed but it seems to be working. Going to try for 60 days and re-eval

Rae Shelley
06/20/2012 16:03

See Sjogrens Syndrome: http://www.webmd.boots.com/arthritis/arthritis-sjogrens-syndrome

Tina
10/04/2012 17:10

All of this, and more, puzzled every doctor and dentist I went to. I finally found out about Histamine Intolerance I eliminated high histamine foods and took Diamine Oxidase before eating everything (since impossible to eliminate all histamines), and I learned about lifestyle changes that helped others.

10/15/2012 17:34

Another thing that consistently makes my mouth Extemely dry is driving in a car. They say there are fumes like Benzene, petroleum and other things, even in the carpet, that emit gases that can make your mouth dry . I am MCS (multiple chemical sensitive) and am reacting to something in cars but theres nothing I can do to avoid it. In the hot weather you should at least open the windows when you first get in to air out the car of benzene fumes.

Celeste S
01/31/2013 23:11

Hi Joan:

found your site...very interesting! I want to know more as I have had what I called a metallic/sour taste in my mouth since June, 2011. It really escalated December, 2011- until the present. Did every test imaginable and all negative...the closet diagnosis was Burning Mouth syndrome.....I quit my stress-ful job, (which I fully believed sent me into having such bizaree symptoms in my mouth) and have been relaxing ........i just started the SCD (Specific Carb Diet)....on it for three weeks........many benefits but the authors of the diet had a chapter warning us to watch out for high phenol content foods.......
So, I think ( I am HOPEFUL)....that maybe this nightmare of icky mouth taste on me licking my lips constantly (and my poor lips peeling every 10 days it seems), and tingling of the tip of my tongue may BE allergy to Phenols!!

Zuccchini, when I tested it definitely gave me a mouth reaction ( a very Tart, tannin like taste). The authors of the diet have the high phenol foods listed....which is nice. The other items so far that have bothered my mouth/lips are: Apple Cider Vinegar, Cinnamon and thyme, DArk Chocolate (anything over 70 %), Granny Smith apples (which really bummed me out since I just made organic apple sauce this morning)....gala apples are a lower phenol content so I can go back to them....any tea or coffee i have been off of for months which is a bummer.......not sure about almond milk.......but the list says almonds...which i do not eat...but I liked almond milk...today it left a distinct tartness on my tongue..........am I on the right track here??

Celeste S
01/31/2013 23:17

I did not want to forget to ask you about honey......it is the one sugar that is allowed on my Specific Carb Diet.....but I can tell it bothers me...it is not raw honey though....starting tomorrow I will try raw honey...if that does not work I will try organic maple syrup. If I have to give up cinnamon AND honey that would be a bit rough since I depend on them to get me to eat so many pureed (for now) veggies that I did not "love" yet but I am working on it....(pureed carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin).....

Lyn D
02/04/2013 16:21

Mix 1 cup warm water, 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and 1-2 tablespoons honey mix well and gargle and rinse mouth as often as needed. It's like swishing around pickle juice, but apple cider vinegar kills many types of bacteria. It could help. Good for sore throats too. drinking it will help the digestive tract too.

05/31/2013 12:55

My Mather mouth is tonuge is burn mouth is dry

ezeekms
02/11/2013 04:10

White cream on my roof and the back. mouth dry with white cream conners, front tip of the tongue buring.yellow bimp under the tip. Sore trouth, undermy armpits pain, under my rib cage pain, back pain, gut pain,joins pain, body aches. Dy hv found nating in my test wat could it be or were can I go for help*

dee dolly
11/24/2013 14:11

OK..I have burning mouth due to asthma meds and probably a link to my arthritis. There is a pill ..it comes in many forms...that will stimulate you to make saliva. My friend takes it and it works for her. I cannot use it because of my asthma. It is called pillicarin or something. Ask your doc. I use Biotene oral mouth rinse. You can use it up to 5 times a day. Just swish and spit. No rinsing of mouth. REally helps.

Erica P
02/13/2013 20:17

I am a 19 year old freshman in college. I have been suffering from dry burning mouth for a little over a year, and I can't take it anymore. has anyone found something that helps?

08/29/2014 07:19

I tried apple cider vinegar and burned my mouth. Nordic Omega 3 fish oil helps restore my moisture to my eyes. I have not taken it for for a month. I will try it again. I am supposed to take flax oil too for my dry eyes. Do not put either oil in your eyes. Make certain you are not allergic to soy fish or flax seed

02/15/2013 18:53

Hi, Celeste, cinnamon and honey are a big sal NO NO. They are both very high in sals. And quite honestly you have to be careful only to eat small amounts of pumpkin, butternut squash and carrots as they are all moderate to high in sals and could add up to a big reaction if your bucket gets too full. I used to make a delicious chunky applesauce with peeled yellow delicious apples but it made my tongue and lips burn.

Lyn, apple cider vinegar is what made me hit bottom. I was putting it in my water everyday because I read it was good for arthritis. Well it turns out it was giving me arthritis and very bad asthma.

Finally, a month ago we went to Aruba. That night my burning tongue and lips was totally gone and stayed gone for a week. When we returned it came back the first day back. It turned out that the water there is so pure, no chemicals. It is sea water distilled and filtered through limestone. It called the Champagne of the caribbean. So now I dont drink our water even if its filtered. I buy bottled water and also get it from a natural spring nearby and it really helps. I dont have a burning tongue and lips everynight unless I cheat with something else, take care, Joan

Elizabeth
02/17/2013 23:24

I saw mention of Sjogrens here and thought I would comment. My mother had Sjogrens for several years, and it started out with dry eyes, she had to put drops in her eyes three or four times a day for a long while, then it advanced to her saliva glands, and eventually it attacks other glands/organs in your body. She would also break out in rashes sometimes, it was to do with how Sjogrens was affecting her liver. If you don't have dry eyes I wouldn't worry too much about the dry mouth being Sjogrens. Mom's glands on the side of her face used to swell to the size of softballs sometimes if the syndrome was really active and she was having a hard time managing the symptoms. There's really no test for Sjogrens, so be sure your doctor is working to eliminate other causes.

03/16/2013 18:41

Hi I actually had a test for sjogrens which came back negative. For many years I had terrible dry eyes, very bloodshot and gritty too. When I gave up sals they completely cleared up. I also used to have tender swollen glands all the time. I had a CT scan to rule out saliva gland stones, negative also. They went down when I went low sal too. They come back if I cheat. My dry mouth is the only thing I still have which is definitely affected by sugar, some high sals, dairy products and driving in a car (fumes). Cant seem to get rid of it but its not sjogrens.

Mike
04/01/2013 10:29

I am having dry mouth ONLY when sleeping. Wake up in the night with my mouth feeling like leather. I also have a dryish feeling in my throat.
During the day, my tongue feels a bit itchy/scalded. The doctor tested me for thrush. The results were negative. He did give me nystatin for 10 days just in case it was thrush, no change.
I have done a lot of research, and everything I read point to a weak immune system. Anyone feel that way? My health otherwise is fine.
I have been experiencing this feeling 4 months.

04/03/2013 18:10

Hi Mike, this dry mouth and burning lips and tongue has been pretty bad lately. Its driving me nuts. I have to buy some glass jugs to replace the big plastic bottles I've been putting the Spring water in. Maybe its the plastic bottles. I have very high cholesterol, maybe its blocking some of my small vessels in my lips and tongue. I feel that my immune system is very good since I teach, am around a lot of germs and seldom get sick, but I think people with ss have immune systems that are always on high alert. It could be that they are on such high alert that we are susceptible to autoimmune diseases when our bodies attack our own bodies. For instance Vasculitis of the small vessels. Our bodies see the vessels as foreigners and attack them.
I need to rule out diabetes. I am saying a lot of prayers for this to get better cause its really starting to wear me down. I just did a lot of venting but not much helping, sorry. Good luck, Joan

Mike
04/03/2013 22:45

Hi Joan
My problem is pretty much the dry mouth at night when sleeping. i would wake up with the mouth feeling like dry leather.
I noticed it all started happening in December 2012 when I caught a bad cold.
I go to bed with a glass of water.
I do have a bit of sensation on my tongue during the day. The doctor tested me for thrush, and treated me for it even though the results came back negative.
My doctor also did the diabetes test and it came back negative. I do have high cholesterol. Recently, I changed my diet eating more fruits and noticed a drop from as high as 6 to 3+ ratio.
What bothers me is the list of other diseases that as listed under dry mouth...some of them are pretty scary.
My doctor is trying to schedule me for a ENT (Ear Nose Throat) check...

Mike
04/04/2013 22:40

Hi Joan

Came across this piece of info...

donna
04/09/2013 21:00

has anyone heard of lichen planus?

Sandi anderson
04/17/2013 23:34

I also have a burning tongue and it is wearing me down. I have been to several doctors. I have used eye drops for a long time. Could that be it. I to was sick this winter with two colds back to back. I had this for three months. I do need help. What is sal?

04/20/2013 17:28

Hi this is the AHA moment of the year. For the past year and a half I have been suffering with dry mouth and burning tongue/lips. It might not sound that bad but it takes over your consciousness 24/7. It made it hard to talk, swallow and concentrate. Of course my doctors didnt have a clue.
Since I am already Salicylate Intolerant I have been eating as many foods as I can that are low in salicylates, including celery, peas,sunflower seed butter, walnuts, peeled pears, peeled applesauce, chocolate hazelnut spread (nutella) and bananas.
I had heard somewhere that apples are related to birch. I was told that I am allergic to birch trees years ago. When I bought a bag of hazelnuts last week I just decided to google HAZELNUTS AND BIRCH ALLERGY. Bingo !

There is something called OAS (Oral Allergy Syndrome). It can give you itchy or burning or swollen tongue/lips or throat.
If you are allergic to Tree Pollen or Ragweed or several other things listed, the following foods can cause a reaction.

I wanted to share this with you in case it could help even one other person. After avoiding the foods I listed my dry mouth and burning tongue/lips have finally subsided. I showed the whole article to my ENT Dr. and he asked for a copy of it.
"Heres $100 bucks, glad I could help" lol

Pollen Potential Cross-reactive Foods

1) Ragweed - Bananas, melons (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew) zucchini, cucumber, dandelions, chamomile tea

2) Birch- Apples, pears, peaches, apricots, cherries, plums, nectarines, prunes, kiwi, carrots, celery, potatoes, peppers, fennel, parsley, coriander, parsnips, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts

3) Grass, Peaches, celery, melons, tomatoes, oranges

4) Mugwort - Celery, apple, kiwi, peanut, fennel, carrots, parsley, coriander, sunflower, peppers

5) Alder - Celery, pears, apples, almonds, cherries, hazelnuts, peaches, parsley

6) Latex - Bananas, avocado, kiwi, chestnut, papaya

I cant tell you how happy and relieved I am. I will be still be eating papaya and bananas periodically and see how it goes.
Thank you God. Joan

EddieD
06/16/2013 22:17

Hi Joan,

I read you post and I think I have Oral Allergy Syndrome. Ive been suffering from similar symptoms for 1 1/2 years, went to 7 doctors, 15 medications and nothing is helping. By chance I've been taking Clariton for my seasonal allergy and noticed my mouth about 30%-50% better but it didn't click until I read your post.

Did you go to an allergist to help you through the cure? I don't feel like I have my arms fully wrapped around this yet. Need someone with a much better understanding.

Eddie

Callie Garcia
04/21/2013 02:11

I just recently started having this dry mouth/ burning feeling after being down and out with allergies/cold season.. I thought it was from all the medication I was taking. now I have noticed that this feeling never stops night and day never stops.. now my cheeks have doubled in size. until I came across your site I have felt very alone in this ..please let me know if any kind of remedy works for you.. I don't have the financial resources t go to a doctor/clinic.

04/21/2013 08:33

HI Callie, the answee to my problem with dry mouth was Oral Allergy Syndrome which is described in the post above yours. If you cut out those foods for a week n still have burning mouth them I suggest you go to my home page n read up on salicylate ìntolerance which can also cause it. You might have to cut out a lot of fruit n veggies. Good luck , joan

Kristina
04/23/2013 15:48

I have had a very dry mouth and tongue for about a week now--it started after a severe reaction to Cipro antibiotic (fluoroquinolone). Did anybody's dry mouth begin after taking an antibiotic? I am really worried since it's already been a week and not showing signs of going away. My mouth feels like it's stuffed with cotton!

Brenda McLaine
05/19/2013 22:21

Hello Kristina, I came across this site after researching all the symptoms you have described. I finished a 14 day round of Flagyl,Biaxin and Bismuth on Tuesday. Before I finished them I started having the burning, dry mouth. My mouth feels like I've eaten cayenne peppers and is lined with cotton. I am so miserable. I went to my primary Dr. and he prescribed Diflucan because he thinks I have thrush from the Antibiotics I was on. I hope this helps with my problem and sheds some light on yours.

Jane t
11/14/2013 17:55

Hi Brenda looks I took same pills u did? Can u please let me know how u feel after u took duflican ? And what is this?

Lori
07/30/2014 17:03

Mine started from antibiotic, thought I was allergic to it. It's been over a year and a half. At first it lasted every day, night and day for 3 months, went away for a few days then came back. I bought biotin the mouth ssh and spray, plenty of water nothing ever send to work for good but that did help. Lately I had walking pneumonia and I am having really bad allergies that I never had before. with my allergies the gave me loratidine cheap form of clariton. For a month I was on it I never realised I had no symptoms! I've been off it for a week now and symptoms are back, starting having a little bit of milk, etc. I'm going to take the antihistamine now and see what happens! Hope you get some relief!

Kristina
04/23/2013 15:49

I hope it goes away for everyone here!

04/23/2013 18:45

Hi Kristina, I hope it goes away a lot quicker than it did for me. I know how unbearable it is. Cotton mouth is exactly how I would describe it. I cant say that mine started after an antibiotic so Maybe yours is a bad reaction and will go away soon.
I had an allergic reaction today to pecan cashew butter. I've never been allergic to pecans or cashews but today, in an attempt to avoid sunflower seeds (sunflower seed butter) I tried some pecan/cashew butter and within 10 minutes the tip of my tongue got red and tingley and my head and eyes started to feel weird, so I immediately took an allegra antihistamine. That stopped it from going any further but now I'm very confused. I can handle Salicylate Intolerance, gluten intolerance and Oral Allergy Syndrome but this reaction to tree nuts just came out of left field. Whoa. What's next ? Have a nice day, Joan

Hoya
05/17/2013 03:04

Hello
Having food sensitivies can make life miserable sometimes.
I LOVE food and I'm just starting realise that it is the likely cause of many of my problems, even though I eat very healthily. I have had hayfever all my life (I'm thirty-something) and can only eat a limited variety of fruit and virtually no nuts (including pecans!) as they make my throat itch and cherries make my lips lumpy. However, stewing some of the fruit (like plums.. I wouldn't want to stew honeydew melon!) stops the irritation.
I've been allergic to wheat in the past (a bowl of pasta put me in bed on two occasions for two days) but I had that allergy cleared by a kinesiologist who practiced an 'allergy eliminating system' which has the acronym of NAET.. you can find more on the web. It worked for me! No more chronic exhaustion. Unfortunately I still suffer from tiredness, dodgy stools (I go from soft to constipated, never normal), bloating and 'tonsillitis'. The low mood and anxiety I deal with as I'm used to feeling crappy! Until just a couple of weeks ago I put all this down to my stressful job until I had a bad bout of 'tonsillitis' and went to see a doctor in a walk-in clinic as I was on holiday and desperate for drugs! I don't normally 'do' drugs.. if I do get the odd cold I normally just rest and do vitamic C. Anyway, the Doc peered into my mouth and told me it wasn't obvious that it was tonsillitis. Interesting, I thought.. it sure feels like it!! At virtually the same time I developed a wheezy chesty cough which is most unusual for me. I may have taken an aspirin the day before the 'tonsillitis' but I can't remember.. I've lost the packet so can't check the seal. (I've never taken aspirin). I'm seeing an ENT specialist at the end of the month. Since booking that appointment I've discovered the world of salicyates, additives etc! Whenever I thought I was having tonsillitis I rarely visited the doctor as I'd rather rest up than take drugs. I'm thinking it's not tonsillitis I've been getting, but just swollen sore glands. I thought I wasn't getting the full blown infection (white spots) as the swollen glands have become chronic. I suspect many people who have chronic tonsillitis actually have a food sensitivity they are not aware of. My immediate family all have food intolerances of some kind.. it just takes some time and working out what it is that triggers the problems. I'm grateful to websites like these. I've ordered Sue Dengate's Failsafe cookery book and Joan, I will be purchasing your book next :-)
Best wishes all...

Hoya
05/23/2013 01:43

Thought I should update the above comment. I'm allergic to wheat AND gluten. If I still get 'tonsillitis' after I stop eating wheat/gluten then I know something else is the cause of it. I'm seeing an ENT specialist soon which will be interesting. The day before I woke up with the bad tonsillitis and a wheezy cough as mentioned above, I gorged on cake and biscuits etc throughout the day as I was celebrating a birthday. I've since read that a wheat/gluten allergy can cause difficulty breathing and a wheezy cough!

05/23/2013 19:02

Hi Hoya, Reading your thread just made me remember that my son used to get tonsillitis with a high fever every 2 weeks when he was a baby . I know he is sal sensitive but I was never sure if the tonsillitis was connected. I used to have chronic swollen glands until I went low sal. And right before I hit bottom I had a severe problem with shortness of breath and a cough from sals.

I cant wait to hear what you find out. I wonder if you were also affected by any artificial colors in the birthday cake. Take care, Joan

susan J.Chavex
07/20/2014 19:26

Have you been tested for celiac disease ? I have burning tongue syndrome and a cracked tongue. I am on clonesapane....still have to avoid spices.

Morag Cunningham
05/30/2013 09:08

It just started for me last week. The dry mouth and burning tongue. I thought I had bit the tongue while eating the other day. But can not remember. I know that I am pre-diabetic and the dry mouth could be this. I don't need insulin, just monitoring the levels. And extreme thirsty an another symptom. so I have been drinking, loads and loads of filtered water

ingrid
05/31/2013 04:04

Symptom Relief from dry mouth.
Ask your chemist for something for dry mouth syndrome.
I suffered for a year asking g'p's and everyone.
A dentist told me I could get something at the chemist and guess what - they've been using it in hospitals for years and the shelves were loaded with products.

Biotene 'Oral Balance' comes in a liquid, gel, mouth rinse and toothpaste. Another brand makes a spray.
I went from dry mouth to burning mouth etc too.
I found the gel was best.
Good luck.

Ken
06/04/2013 14:34

I first started feeling this after performing oral on my wife.
Since then, I get dry mouth/burning time every 3-4 days.
I thought thrush also, but it went away and then came back.
I just started reading about others having this, so it appears common.
I only wish there was a solution to this, cause I can't imagine going years with it, like some of you have.

Morag
06/04/2013 23:56

your heard in the news about Michael Douglas, that he got his cancer because of oral sex, but this was probably from several hundred women. You can get this solution from the pharmacist to make your mouth moist, I have tried it, it worked but felt leery about using something that isn't natural. When I brush my teeth and gargle, I make sure that the toothpaste isn't too acidic or the mouthwash is not Scope and use a rinse given to me by my dentist. I have a sensitive mouth. LOL Sometimes, I have been rolling ice cubes in my mouth to give me relief. Hope this helps.

Mike
06/05/2013 23:13

Hi Ken

Been having this dry mouth since Dec 2012. It's not as severe now as it was then. I am trying to re-trace what I used/did prio to Dec 2012 that may have triggered it. I did take some antibiotics Cipro for a urinary tract infection - predisposed to kidney stones. I also had a colonoscopy before that.

What bothers me is the the amount of info on dry/burning mouth...here are the ones that I worry about;

From the Mayo Clinic....
Dry mouth has numerous causes, including:

Medications. Hundreds of medications, including some over-the-counter drugs, produce dry mouth as a side effect. Among the more likely types to cause problems are some of the drugs used to treat depression and anxiety, antihistamines, decongestants, high blood pressure medications, anti-diarrheals, muscle relaxants, drugs for urinary incontinence, and Parkinson's disease medications.
Aging. Getting older isn't a risk factor for dry mouth on its own; however, older people are more likely to be taking medications that may cause dry mouth. Also, older people are more likely to have other health conditions that may cause dry mouth.
Cancer therapy. Chemotherapy drugs can change the nature of saliva and the amount produced. Radiation treatments to your head and neck can damage salivary glands, causing a marked decrease in saliva production.
Nerve damage. An injury or surgery that causes nerve damage to your head and neck area also can result in xerostomia.
Tobacco use. Smoking or chewing tobacco can increase dry mouth symptoms.

Mike
06/05/2013 23:14

Hi Ken

Been having this dry mouth since Dec 2012. It's not as severe now as it was then. I am trying to re-trace what I used/did prior to Dec 2012 that may have triggered it. I did take some antibiotics Cipro for a urinary tract infection - predisposed to kidney stones.

From the Mayo Clinic....
Dry mouth has numerous causes, including:

Tobacco use. Smoking or chewing tobacco can increase dry mouth symptoms.

Mike
06/05/2013 23:16

Hi Ken

From the Mayo Clinic....
Dry mouth has numerous causes, including:

Other health conditions. Dry mouth can be a consequence of certain health conditions — or their treatments — including the autoimmune disease Sjogren's syndrome, diabetes, Parkinson's disease, HIV/AIDS, anxiety disorders and depression. Stroke and Alzheimer's disease may cause a perception of dry mouth, even though the salivary glands are functioning normally. Snoring and breathing with your mouth open also can contribute to the problem. Tobacco use. Smoking or chewing tobacco can increase dry mouth symptoms.

Mike
06/05/2013 23:17

Hi Ken

From the Mayo Clinic....
Dry mouth has numerous causes, including:

ken
06/04/2013 14:36

thank you.

06/06/2013 10:20

Hi I ruled out sjogrens, diabetes and several other things. I GOT RID OF MY BURNING TONGUE AND LIPS when I stopped eating apples, pears, celery,and sunflower seed butter and oil. I had OAS (oral allergy syndrome). Those foods were similar enough to Birch trees which I am allergic to, and caused my reaction,

Ken was there any spermacide involved that you may have been allergic to?

Take care, Joan

Ken
06/10/2013 13:14

Hi Joan, No, there was no spermacide and this had never happened before.
Maybe there was some lotion, but wouldn't the effects have gone away by now?
My diet has not changed. I am a healthy eater with occasional cheat days, but nothing unusual.
Thank you for all your replies.

Darla
06/09/2013 22:16

Joan,
Just found your site, a lot of great info. I too have had burning mouth off and on for 2 years. Dr's gave no clues. I am starting a food log to see if I can pinpoint if anything is causing this burning, also am going to have my blood sugar tested just to make sure. When this first started I began drinking organic apple cider vin, clean natural Aloe juice and taking probiotics. I don't really know if any or all of that helped but the burning did go away for several months and now it is back, I also get so bad that my lips turn a bright shade of pinkish red, people ask me if I am wearing lipstick, sometimes I say yes just because it is too hard to explain. My family is very supportive when I try to avoid spicy foods but I'm not sure it has anything to do with it. The only other thing I have not seen mentioned in any of the comments here is I seem to see a direct connection between the burning mouth and constipation. Anyone else have this? Thank you so much for getting this started because it really does make me feel better knowing that I am not alone in this. Good luck to everyone.

06/10/2013 21:50

Darla all of my problems started when I went on a Braggs Apple Cider drinking binge. I heard it was good for arthritis and started putting it in my water 3 times a day. It is so high in salicylates and was making my arthritis worse and my asthma worse.

On the chance that you are salicylate sensitive and it is causing your burning mouth you should probably stop the aloe too which is high in sals. Spicy foods are also high in sals and you might be overdosing on sals.

Ken, are you using a mouthwash with salicylate acid in it like listerine or toothepaste with fluoride ? One day you can be fine and then suddenly develop a sensitivity to something youve been using everyday. Did you start using anything with wintergreen in it. That is toxic to anyone that is salicylate intolerant. Good luck, Joan

m
06/13/2013 17:24

Hi, I just had my first experience with symptoms matching burning mouth syndrome. I noted the foods I ate before onset, but only having this one incident, there was no pattern to note. On the Internet I read about possible causes and tried to avoid anything that could be a problem, or the cause (basically anything that made it feel worse).

After some days of unbearable sensation, I tried oxygenated olive oil. (I had purchased from my dentist for my gums, but had not been using it. I rubbed it all around my mouth - tastes pretty ick.) After two treatments, the burning tongue feeling was gone!

A week later, my son reported a tongue ouchy. The commonality - we both ate almond-flour cookies right before the burning sensation onset. He doesn't seem to have it as bad as I did.

My conclusion: Burning-Mouth-Syndrome-like symptoms. Almond flour a likely the cause (even though consumed in large quantities before w/ no problem). Oxygenated olive oil the relief, thankfully! (haven't tried it on my son yet, he's avoiding the taste)

m
06/13/2013 17:33

p.s. Because I read yeast could be a cause, I also took probiotics and when possible - held them in my mouth/on my tongue. This may have helped, but was not as dramatic an improvement as after the oxygenated olive oil. Though the probiotics did "feel good" (i.e. soothed the burning) and so I figured they were at least not hurting.

m
06/13/2013 17:45

Sorry to reply to my comment again - just want to note that when searching the internet on almonds and these symptoms - I mainly read about allergic reactions. Perhaps that was a factor in the burning tongue sensation my son and I experienced... but it didn't feel like an allergic reaction. There was no itching for me... just unusual burning all along the sides of my tongue. Over the course of days, it felt worse when I ate and better when I didn't. I'd wake up w/ a dry mouth.

06/13/2013 19:14

Hi M, please dont try the olive oil for your son even though it helped you or you could trigger a whole lot of other problems for your son. Olive oil is SOOO high in salicylates. They are toxic for everyone but people have different tolerances. If you eat enough you will have the same reaction that I do with my low tolerance. Most children are salicylate intolerant and can experience anything from vomiting, ear infections, behavior problems, exzema, tonsillitis, fever, to mouth sores.
Almonds are also high in sals and both of you could have had an allergic reaction. If not the almond flour, you may have reacted to the bitter almond oil which is in almond extract.

Bridget
10/22/2013 18:47

I have noticed that when I drink bottled water from any brand but disani and drinking from plastic cups cause my lips to burn and my tounge to burn and my lips dry out and chap. It last for a few days then goes away but drives me nuts while it is happening.

10/22/2013 19:17

It doesn't surprise that the chemicals in plastic could be a factor. Water is the universal solvent.,Everything it touches leaches into it. So I'm sure there is something bad in water in plastic bottles. The funny thing is I go to the trouble of getting pure spring water that pours out of a mountain near me, but then I put it into big plastic bottles. duh.

10/31/2013 11:03

Seek the help of a Natural Health Care Provider (Naturopathic Doctor, Nutritional Consultant, Homeopath, etc.) and research BIE (Bio-Energetics).
Help is but a click away!

Karl
01/27/2014 21:21

Hi all this is my first post. I started with a sore saliva gland under the tongue last July. It was really swollen. Doctors said it might be a saliva stone. Then after a dentists visit I was sent to see an Orthodontist, who eventually discharged me. Then I realised it wasn't my saliva gland that was the problem but my tongue sucking on it all day. This has now escalated to dry mouth and burning tongue. After a bad day I get a sore bottom lip inside, sore roof of mouth and small buning hives on the tip of my tongue. I have had all sorts of blood tests and am going for two more this week. I have been subscribed saliva gel, which lasts about a minute and Salagen tablets which haven't worked as yet.

05/19/2014 23:34

My dr said thrush and gave me nycostatin swish and swallow that helpedu

Lara
05/20/2014 23:10

hii i am 23 years old....i woke up one day with an extreme dry mouth that lasted for about 4 days...the dryness decreased during the next days but it was still there....my salivary glands under the tongue on the left side hurt like hell (also a little bit swollen) and i have a burning sensation on the tip of my tongue....i went to an ENT, he said that my salivary glands are blocked (but there is no evidence of stones in them) ...he gave me something to gargle my mouth with hoping that the salivary glands will heal... but i am not feeling any progress... any help or idea.. and has the burning sensation at the tip of my tongue anything to do with my blocked salivary glands? (even if i don't feel sometimes that my mouth is dry)...., should i do an allergy test? blood tests?...i feel like i am having a nightmare.......Thanks in advance.

Karl
05/21/2014 12:19

Hi Lara, I had the exact same symptoms and diagnosis from my Dr. I don't think they have any idea what it is. I found that my saliva gland was sore because my tongue was constantly sucking on it trying to saturate itself. I'm still the same over 14 months later.
Hope this helps, not very positive I'm afraid.

Karl
05/21/2014 12:33

Hope this helps, not very positive I'm afraid. Definitely get blood tests done tho.

Lara
05/21/2014 22:37

Okay thanks Karl...hope you get better soon :)

Kim
06/05/2014 08:27

I have all the symptoms of burning mouth / tongue syndrome, but unlike most of you, I don't have dry mouth. I've been following Histamine Intolerance groups because initially I got a really bad breakout on my arms and legs and was eating a diet high in histamine and it was suggested to me that I might have Histamine Intolerance. It was also suggested that I might have Oral Allergy syndrome, but I eat almost no fruit and very few veggies now and my mouth hasn't improved. After going on a low histamine diet the breakouts on my arm and leg went away, but I still occasionally breakout on my head. The burning tongue / mouth, however, is still there every day - all day. The tops of my ears also get dry and itchy. It's less in the morning and worse at night. Almost everything I eat makes it worse now and I've stopped eating almost everything but meat from the farmer market (no leftovers due to high histamines) and a few veggies. No dairy, no grains (except occasional rice) no sugar, no packaged, canned or processed food. My symptoms should be lessening, but they aren't. Any suggestions?

06/06/2014 13:26

Hi its been at least 2 years and I still get a burning hive on tip of my tongue from time to time. I still get burning on the top of my top lip and I still get dry mouth. Its always worst after I eat. I read somewhere that just the act of eating and digesting can produce histamine. So for those of us that suspect histamine intolerance, eating anything might be the cause. Lovely, right? I dont really have swollen glands anymore since I went low sal 7 yrs ago.
I do notice that any social interaction, talking to people, friends, makes me get dry mouth. I am a teacher but teaching in front of the class doesnt really trigger it. It happens when I am talking to acquaintances, service people, people in authority etc. I was checked a few years for an overactive adrenal system, which I still suspect but it came back negative back then.
Sugar and carbs also give me a dry mouth. Still havent figured this whole problem out. Really frustrating.

Cynthia
06/11/2014 22:35

My tongue has continually felt as if I burned it after taking Cipro. This was over two years ago!! I have researched the possible connection ever since and this is the first time I have seen someone else mention burning mouth in connection with Cipro!! No one can tell me why this happened and there is nothing that can be done apparently. I have just had to learn to live with it but it drives me crazy sometimes! I don't have nearly the same sense of taste as before and it is extremely bothersome. I really wish there was something that could reverse this problem.

07/05/2014 04:11

Nice answer back in return of this difficulty with firm arguments and telling everything concerning that

07/05/2014 06:09

Wonderful article! We will be linking to this great article on our site. Keep up the good writing

07/12/2014 00:41

I have dry mouth after antibiotic and depression medication. And yeast infection in mouth. Some doctors tells that symptom is caused by helicobacter. Blood test for helicobacter don't work it has to be tested by breathing to a bag (by hospital etc.) Helicobacter is treated by antibiotics. Natural remedy (that may not work->get antibiotics!) is coconut oil.

Karl
07/12/2014 09:21

Hi Finn, mine also started when I was on Sertraline for depression but didn't think this was relevant. I will be going for a helicobacter test as soon as. Thanks for your input.

LL
07/19/2014 11:58

I've been dealing with extreme thirst for many years along with an ever worsening burning tongue and sore raw feeling gums/mouth/lips. My lips a tingly burning sensation plus are chronically dry and cracked and peel on a daily basis. I cannot remember the last time I had smooth 'normal' lips, blech. Sometimes I have a bit of a sore throat. I've tried the usual suggested approaches and even the unusual. Have always eaten what is considered a healthy diet. Actually seemed the healthier I ate the worse some of my symptoms became. So I started on a low phenol diet several months ago. It hasn't offered the kind of help hoped for. While phenols/salicylates may be part of the picture it doesn't appear to be the whole thing for me. Eating salads (using iceberg lettuce since others are higher sal) always triggers an increase in symptoms, not sure if it is veggie ingredients like cabbage or a dressing made with some malt vinegar (the only vinegar I've consumed in very small amounts) or both. Beginning to think any kind of vinegar might be an issue, though it is still more than that. Even the tiniest amount of sugar or sweetener (no matter the form) is a problem too, along with any spices or herbs. I am careful to never lick my lips. Stopped lipsticks and the application of anything topical other than plain petroleum jelly long ago. Made no diff though. It's definitely something internal, either systemic or being consumed. Topical cortisone cream was suggested by dermatologist, tried begrudgingly yet was no help whatsoever.

Most of my tests have come back in normal ranges though cholesterol is a little high (HDL/LDL/cholesterol ratio is good) and blood sugar/insulin is a bit up yet still within reference ranges (not that that is a reliable indicator). Been told that I may have the beginnings of metabolic syndrome despite having very low blood pressure. Also that there could be gastric inflammation despite not having any obvious stomach/digestion issues. My cortisol is below ranges so there's some adrenal fatigue going on as well. Not sure if any of these contribute to the tongue/mouth/lip issues. I also get eyelid swelling with some dermatitis. Definitely something is amiss.

I noticed a common link with previous use of Cipro (or a fluoroquinolone antibiotic). I also was rx'd a course back in 2011. Generally felt unwell during/after taking it though the burning mouth issues didn't develop until a long time later.

My functional medicine doc is suggesting the GAPS diet. I did a very loosely based version of it before without great results but guess without doing it properly it isn't fair to judge.

Any thoughts to share? I feel for everyone dealing with the burning mouth issues, they are quite troubling yet most health professional dismiss them since there are few obvious physical signs.

LL
07/19/2014 12:07

Should add that the dry mouth/increased thirst first became an issue with the use of meds like antidepressents and tranquilizers and once with a short-term use of Spironolactone. Didn't have the burning tongue and other issues though. Stopped spironolactone ages ago and have since tapered off all other medications too. The burning mouth stuff seems unrelated to the kind of thirst caused by the medications.

08/05/2014 00:21

Browse through our products and purchase them online, or step into any of our outlets for a relaxed time! Find the closest French Loaf to you here.

Dez
08/06/2014 22:42

When I gave up dairy 100% the swollen mouth cleared up within a few weeks. Do yourself a favor and stop drinking breastmilk from another species. You will get better.

08/28/2014 04:12

At the point when a carpet gets to be stained or just due a clean it might be tempting for individuals to simply sidestep the experts and try to do the task themselves. Much the same as we do about flawless carpet cleaning service.

Karl
08/30/2014 15:16

I realy hope, Cake shop, Dez and James. A. Blunt develop this complaint.
Thanks for your input.

samantha
09/06/2014 08:46

I found this because Ive had dry mouth, I think you will call it, for two weeks now. White spots along sides of tongue, furry white tongue, slight burning and taste like butter in my mouth! Front of tongue also had this lizard sharp edged appearance! Also ulcers inside cheeks but those didn't last long. Like Joan I was adding apple cider vinegar to every drink of water, along with lemon and lime, but it wasn't until I had a binge on two tubs of sugar free lactose ice cream by Chapman's sweetened with maltitol in one week (I usually avoid processed or packages foods) that by the end of the week i started noticing furry tongue. Mine Is happy pink (which I've been told isn't actually healthy). Anyway, not sure if it was the maltitol or It may also have been because I ate a lot of hazelnuts and pecans, as I've been avoiding nuts for months, just for elimination. I've never had nut problems in the past.

A week later the white spots began, particularly along sides. A day of constant salt water almost cleared it all up and I was almost fine for two days, even though this buttery taste started. Then I had beer chicken at a bbq and within a couple hours the white spots and furry tongue returned and so dry, and burning sensation, ulcers all along inside of cheeks appeared, more of a swelling not yellow.

I eat paleo, sugar free, gluten free, mostly dairy free other than some butter, low carb high fat no vegetable oils no grains no nuts although I'm not allergic. I'm pretty sure I'm insulin intolerant, my face goes really round and puffy if I eat too many carbs and I gain weight fast. I just can't budge the fat. I'm getting "jowels" too and I'm only 33.

I tried the salt water again this time mixed with lemon and baking soda but no joy so this morning I made fresh boiled ginger dried parsley (was wondering if my liver was angry lol) and after a cup my tongue was SO much better!! I'm Going to stick with that today along with salt water and report back.

Oral allergy and salactyte foods is news to my exhaustive research.. Looking at the list it's most veg! I don't eat fruit. I have been drinking chamomile each night more consistently than ever. Always add coconut oil to food. Started eating more zucchini. As a rule, My main veg is peppers, tomatoes, avocado, spinach, lettuce, mushrooms, celery that's it. Then meat, fish, eggs, bacon, bone broth. Considering the week this happened I'd upped my chamomile, ate hazelnuts and pecans when I don't eat nuts really, ate zucchini several times.. Is possible it is oral allergy syndrome.. But then, how do I not know it's salicylate intolerance? Should I avoid ALL veg except lettuce and dried peas lol. Where will I get my vitamins? More offal? Im already concerned I'm not absorbing anything as my tongue has had teeth indents for months now in the morning. I'm otherwise healthy and workout.. Sorry for long post I wrote this on my phone and kept going!

Samantha
09/06/2014 08:58

I've also been adding a teaspoon of honey daily to prevent cravings, xylitol, coffee, cinnamon on eggs daily. So I'm guessing stop all this and stick to green tea and ginger. Thankfully my sweet cravings have diminished

09/17/2014 21:34

in open your blog it is very easy and does not burden my gadgets, cool, thank you

Loansdirect is initiated by group of experienced persons and started its operations in Chennai.
The team was engaged in the financial services from the past 15 years and operated DSAs/DMAs for many banks.

09/19/2014 01:22

This is the most fun job. Just imagine every day my job is to find a quality blog blog. and indeed I am very happy to this blog entry karean quality criteria.

Karl
09/19/2014 04:54

What is happening to our blog Joan 😒

DR Gnanaraj Jayabal is principal dentist at Denticare, and he designed and established this Dental center to deliver the best quality care . With 10 years experience in dentistry he is well capable handle all sort of dental issues with modern approach. He is graduated from prestigious Madras dental college in 2005.

Basha Yonis
10/16/2014 21:44

I am new to BMS and just found your blog today. What a relief to find: a) I'm not alone, and b) I'm not crazy.
Somewhere in this thread of comments someone mentioned taking an antihistamine. Since I usually have no reactions to Claritin, I figured I could at least try it. Most of the burning sensation is gone, but the most interesting thing is NOW my mouth feels like it does when I eat something I'm allergic to -- in my case, nice, ripe cantelope. It's almost like the Claritin brought my reaction down from a hyper-allergic to a mere allergic reaction. (I know, really scientific, right?)
I think the primary culprit is my new toothpaste. I'll test it tonight by going back to an old toothpaste.
Thanks to all of you!

Sue
10/18/2014 22:17

I have started suffering with this and it is driving me crazy. Im pretty sure it has to do with hormones. I am post menopausal and read that this is more common in women with hormone changes happening. It really seems to effect all the mucuous membranes. I have read that vitamin B helps and it seems to help a little but it not taking it completely away. Nice to know I'm not alone.

good posts

Rea Rivera
11/07/2014 16:18

Dr.okoh with a heart of gratitude, i want to let know to world about my happiness and i want to say God will bless you and your househood for your good works. I'm Rea Rivera, from Manila Philipine, i was confirm Hiv positive and i was just living with the help of medication.i came across a comments on a blog how Dr.okoh cured her, i was really shock but i contacted him and now i'm cured also. i will contiune to talk about your good works just the same way people have been talking about how you cure them from their hiv disease, I'm happy now. you can contact him If you have any problem or you are also infected with any disease, kindly contact him now with his Email: dr.okohspellhome@gmail.com or call him on +2348110745051

11/10/2014 04:25

Nice post.I Got many informations from your article

irene ryan
11/16/2014 15:40

Greetings to you all, i want to appreciate the good work of a Doctor called OSULA for helping my family, my husband was diagnose with HIV disease, unknowingly i got infected also. we have been on ARVS for the past 3 years, we have done all we could to be cured but there seems solution. I met a friend who told me about a powerful Dr named OSULA and i decided to browse through the internet to know more about him, while i was searching i saw people testifying about the good he has done. i was totally convince when i saw comment of a lady called Carol Erin talking of how DR OSULA helped her and i spoke with my husband about Doctor OSULA and we decided to contact him and he told us not to worry that he will make my family happy again, he sent a liquid medicine and told us to take it for a period of days after which we should go for a test and we did has he instructed, when the test result came out it was HIV negative, we now live a life of no fear and no worries my husband is so happy with me for recommending DR OSULA. I will continue to broadcast the good work of DR.OSULA, i advice you to contact him if you have any kind of disease or if you are in any problem i assure you will find solution in him. you can contact him with his EMAIL: dr.osulaspellhome@gmail.com or +2349030368565

Karen
11/17/2014 09:52

Hi there,

I didn't read through any of the comments, but I MUST tell you that I suffered from BMS and unquenchable thirst for 10+ years - and I finally found the answer!! It was a long-term MAGNESIUM deficiency - and I learned that magnesium deficiency is a VERY common in MOST people!

See this article, (which ultimately explained my problem):

Start taking a highly absorbable form on Magnesium everyday, (either citrate powder or stearate), and your BMS and thirst will be gone for good. Try CALM: https://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm/

I hope this post helps someone who is suffering with this. I would be interested to know if it does. Please send me an email when you find relief. I noticed relief after about two months of supplementation (with magnesium stearate in a pill form (from my naturopath)). Now I just take a powder supplement in my shakes to keep the reserves up.

xo

Karen - (see post above)
11/17/2014 09:53

Sorry - forgot to leave my email karenbe32 at yahoo dot ca

Please email me if this helps you. I would be REALLY interested to know.

11/18/2014 00:10

Awesome post friend.. Great work.